designing a backyard shed

This is what we are up to right now.

Designing and building a shed... or two.

So that we stay within the size restrictions of city by-laws regarding sheds, John came up with this creative solution.

At first I had trouble envisioning two sheds in the backyard. In fact, I think my initial reaction was a face cringe. But then I began to see the potential and picture how the design could actually work well and still be visually appealing.

The space in between the sheds is what I am most excited about. I'm envisioning a little nook, shady with a stone and moss covered pathway. At the back of the nook will be a big, rustic wood bench that can serve as a potting table or a spot to use when we are entertaining outdoors. Behind the table will be the original vintage square lattice that I may paint out dark. Add some hooks and it can be used to store tools or get creative and it can be the backdrop for a little garden vignette.

The design is quite modern to fit in with the new addition at the back of the house. The addition is clad in Hardie board so we will recreate that same look using wood siding painted out in Benjamin Moore's Wrought Iron.

I love the idea of stringing twinkling patio lights in between the sheds if the light fixture idea doesn't work out.

What do you think?

You can check out my backyard inspiration board on Pinterest here. The outdoor light option I showed is from Pottery Barn.

Stay tuned for more updates on this project :)

No comments

Thanks so much for your comments!